Home > Resources > For Residents > Properly Dispose of Household Waste


Household Hazardous Waste

Hazardous products have labels that say “danger,” “caution,” “warning,” or “toxic.” Such wastes include, but are not limited to fertilizer, pesticides, batteries, old medications, solvents, paint thinner, oil-based paint, aerosol cans, mercury, and corrosives. Hazardous materials are best stored in original, labeled, containers  and disposed of in accordance with these Genesee County Health Department options.

Best practice involves avoiding the use of hazardous material by utilizing natural alternatives. For example, vinegar and water can effectively replace store bought window cleaner!

Motor Vehicle Waste. Oil and other vehicle fluids are collected at Household Hazardous Waste Collection days. Motor vehicle fluids are recyclable. Find an auto part dealer that collects these fluids for a nominal fee.
Travel trailer sanitary waste can be collected at campground facilities.
For a listing of disposal sites in Michigan, try RVDumps.


Hazardous Waste Disposal

Genesee County’s Michigan State University (MSU) Extension and the Genesee County Health Department host Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days numerous times each year.

For the next collection date call:

MSU Extension (810) 244-8524 or

Genesee County Health Department (810) 257-3603.


Collection Locations: Open 10am-2pm
1. Flint East – Water Service Center -3310 E. Court Street

2. Flint Metal Fab – Bristol Rd., Flint. East of I-75 at Bristol Rd. Exit.

Acceptable Materials: Old household pesticides, herbicides, solvents, paint thinners, aerosol cans, oil-based paint, motor oil, mercury, batteries, corrosives, old prescriptions, old tires with no rims.
Unacceptable Materials: Explosive and radioactive materials, medical waste, commercial and industrial wastes, and latex paint



Unacceptable Hazardous Waste Disposal



Can’t Wait Until the Next Collection Day or not accepted?
Here are some additional options for the disposal of household hazardous wastes:

Drop-Off Center Directory - Genesee County Metropolitan Planning Commission (gcmpc.org)

Prescription Drugs - Controlled substance public disposal locations:

Wal-Mart Pharmacy 4213 Corunna Rd Flint, MI

Hari OM Pharmacy LLC G3333 Beecher Rd Flint, MI

Meijer Pharmacy 4141 Morrish Rd Swartz Creek MI

Town Center Pharmacy 1201 Flushing Rd Suite 2 Flint, MI

Meijer 2474 West Hill Rd Flint, MI

Latex Paint. Put either kitty litter or sand in equal portions to the paint, leave the top off and let it dry completely. Once the paint is completely dried out you can place cans in your regular garbage. Note: The top must be left off. If you have quite a bit of latex paint left, you can try calling on the theater groups downtown to see if they can use it.

Motor Oil. You can take motor oil to Valvoline. Different branches have different requirements regarding fees and amounts, so contact them first.

Electronics. For a $5.00 fee, CBC Recycling will take electronics, such as television sets (no consoles), computers, printers, fax machines, copiers, stereo equipment, video cameras, video game consoles, DVD players, video cassette recorders. Hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 am-3:00 pm; the first two Saturdays of the month from 9:00 am-1:00 pm; or by appointment (810) 239-5040.115 14th Street, Flint

Batteries. Throughout the year batteries can be taken to any VG’s Food and Pharmacy. There is a $0.10 charge, and they must be taken to the service desk.

Make-up and other personal care products. Consider passing along to someone else if it is still useable or properly discard in your general household trash for basic curbside pickup.